Facebook is easy to access on desktop and mobile, but constant updates mean that things sometimes change in a big way overnight.
The same goes for all social media channels – updates that are made to help us stay connected can sometimes feel alienating if we don’t know how to use all the features.
Ever wondered how to tag someone in a Facebook comment or video? We’re going to cover all things tagging in this article. The following, to be exact:
- How to tag someone in a Facebook post on desktop
- How to tag someone in a Facebook post on mobile
- How to tag someone in a photo on a desktop
- How to tag someone in a photo on mobile
In a hurry? Here’s a shortcut.
How to tag someone on Facebook (shortcut!)
- Create a new post or select an existing post that you’d like to tag someone in.
- Type ‘@’ followed by the person’s name you want to tag in the post or comment.
- When the name appears in the drop-down menu, click it.
- Press ‘Share’ to post and send a notification to the user you’ve tagged.
How to tag someone on Facebook
What does it mean to tag on Facebook? Tagging is a feature used to create a link to another Facebook user’s profile, giving users the ability to identify and/or reference their friends in photos, posts, and statuses.
So, how do you tag someone on Facebook? Let’s cover that next.
How to tag someone in a Facebook post
Below I’ll give you a step-by-step walkthrough on how to tag someone in a post on both a desktop and mobile.
How to tag someone in a Facebook status on desktop
- Start typing your status and hit “@” followed by the person’s name. Wait until the drop-down menu offers you the names of your friends or pages you are following. The menu also includes pages you don’t follow or haven’t liked just based on how they might fit what you typed in.
When you begin typing after “@,” Facebook will attempt to guess who you’re looking for. Eva Reclines/Business Insider
- Choose the correct friend or page from the list. Then finish typing out your status and hit share.
The friend tagged will receive a notification that you tagged them. Eva Reclines/Business Insider
You can also use the “Tag Friends” feature:
- Choose the “Tag Friends” button when creating a new status.
Clicking “Tag Friends” will open a menu where you can type a friend’s name. Eva Reclines/Business Insider
- A “with” field will appear and you can type in your friend’s name, without the need for the @ symbol.
Once again, Facebook will try to autocomplete the field based on what you type. Eva Reclines/Business Insider
- You should see the field now shows “with” and the name of your friend. After that you can your post the status.
The tagged friend will receive a notification. Eva Reclines/Business Insider
How to tag someone in the Facebook mobile app
- Much like you would on desktop, start typing your status and hit “@” followed by the person’s name. Wait until the drop-down menu offers you the names of your friends or pages you are following.
The process for tagging on the app is similar to the desktop version. Eva Reclines/Business Insider
- Choose the name or page that you want from the drop-down menu and then post your status.
You can also use the icon underneath your status text.
- Click the icon of a figure with a tag near it.
Tapping this will open a new menu. Eva Reclines/Business Insider
- From the menu that appears, select “Tag People.” You can also select this before you even start typing out your status.